Wednesday, May 16, 2012

In Windows 7, Shift+Right click Gives you additional options you may love.



I work on command prompt little often. One frustrating, Time wasting activity I do there is, Navigating to the folder using CD Command. I may copy/paste or drag/drop the path to the prompt. But I believed it can be automated. 

Until  yesterday, I was using a custom build DOS batch file. Which resides inside "Send to" folder. And will be invoked by "Right Clicking" any folder selecting my DOS Batch script inside "Send to" option. Which launches command prompt and takes me to the selected folder location. 


It may not be a straight forward solution but It works awesome.
But yesterday, I accidentally explored a WINDOWS 7's neat and clean feature which replaces above solution effectively.


Windows 7 Folder Context Menu with Option "Open command window here"


Steps are so easy...
  1. Press 'SHIFT' Key and Right click any of your folder.
  2. Choose the option 'Open command Window here' from the context menu appears.
  3. And It Launches the DOS Command window with your path navigated.
Shift+ Right Click also gives one more good option 'Open in new process'.

Folder Context Menu  - Shift+Right clicked

This option will open the window in separate 'explorer.exe'. Which is helpful for the system which frequently crashes.

Folder running in separate 'explorer.exe' 


If you want this feature to be kept permanent. You can tweak your folder options as follows.

Launch windows in separate process
So Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments: